Sep 4, 2008

Hard to hear

Amanda started 3rd grade this week...Boy how time flies. And she's even "older" for her grade, since her birthday is in the fall. In first grade her teacher noticed she was "behind" the level of her classmates. So special services did some evaluations to see if she'd qualify for help. And she did. She has been doing small groups in reading and math, this year adding writing. The school gave us a diagnosis of Developmental Cognitive Disability. An outside psychologist gave us an ADHD diagnosis. And for the record, we are completely against medication. But we are afraid that she will never completely be mainstreamed with her regular class. I know we have to celebrate the leaps and bounds the things she has achieved. It's just very hard to hear that your child is struggling and there's nothing you could have done differently. She just is the way she is. I just don't think it helped having had her father deployed 2 times. She definitely regressed during those changes. I mean I'm an adult, and I had a hard time dealing with it.

I'm looking into some other resources for help but if anyone has suggestions, please let me know. Hopefully I can stop having tears stream down my face every time I think about this. :)



1 comment:

Krista said...

Karla,
As a parent I can't even imagine how hard this is for you guys; the important thing is that you are getting her help in school whatever the label may be.
Try not to dwell on the hardships of your past- you all did the best you could in tough times....and celebrate your acheivements like you said. :) Hugs!